Our body’s favorite form of folate
Why we need it
Methylfolate (L-methylfolate, 5-methyltetrahyrofolate or 5-MTHF) is the form of folate that is most easily absorbed and used by our bodies.
- Folate supports proper brain function by converting amino acids into neurotransmitters, playing an important role in mental and emotional health*
- Critical component of DNA and RNA – the stuff that makes you who you are – and is especially important when cells and tissues are growing rapidly such as during infancy, adolescence, and pregnancy*
- Crucial for brain and heart health by enhancing levels of the essential fatty acids DHA and EPA*
- Works in tandem with vitamin B12 to regulate the production of red blood cells, help the body utilize iron, and maintain the nervous system and intestinal tract*
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
How much do I need?
Current recommended daily intake (RDI) for folate is 400 mcg for adults and children over the age of 4, and 200 mcg for children ages 3 and younger.
Pregnant and nursing women need two times as much folate as other adults. The FDA recommends 800 mcg of folate per day for all women who are pregnant or who could become pregnant1.
Why we include it
Folate is a nutrient found naturally in foods. Folic acid, on the other hand, is a synthetic form of folate that is found in most supplements. In order to use both naturally occurring folate and synthetic folic acid, our bodies must convert these forms into methylfolate. But some research estimates that up to 40% of the population cannot make this conversion efficiently2. If you cannot make the conversion, you could potentially develop low levels of folate even if you’re eating plenty of folate-rich foods and supplementing with folic acid.
Methylfolate does not need to be converted, meaning our bodies can use it immediately. All of our multivitamin products use methylfolate, and we’re the only gummy vitamin on the market to offer it.
Taking a supplement with methylfolate ensures you get 100% of the folate you need every day.
How can I get it?
- 3 oz. beef liver – 215 mcg DFE
- 1/2 cup boiled spinach – 121 mcg DFE
- 4 spears Asparagus – 89 mcg DFE
- 1/2 cup enriched spaghetti – 83 mcg DFE
- 1/2 cup boiled Brussels sprouts – 78 mcg DFE
- 1/2 cup broccoli – 52 mcg DFE
We recommend you seek the advice of your pediatrician or primary care provider before making changes to you or your child’s nutrient intake.