- van Zuuren EJ, Albusta AY, Fedorowicz Z, Carter B, Pijl H. Selenium supplementation for Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;6:CD010223.
- Schrauzer GN. Selenomethionine: a review of its nutritional significance, metabolism, and toxicity. J Nutr. 2000;130(7):1653-56.
- Vinceti M, Dennert G, Crespi CM, et al. Selenium for preventing cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;3:CD005195.
- Zeng H, Combs GF. Selenium as an anticancer nutrient: roles in cell proliferation and tumor cell invasion. J Nutr Biochem. 2008;19(1):1-7.
- Meyer F, Galan P, Douville P, et al. Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplementation and prostate cancer prevention in the SU.VI.MAX trial. Int J Cancer. 2005;116:182-6.
- Kristal AR, Darke AK, Morris JS, et al. Baseline selenium status and effects of selenium and vitamin e supplementation on prostate cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014;106(3):djt456.
- Hurst R, Hooper L, Norat T, et al. Selenium and prostate cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;96(1):111-22.
- Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes: Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, and Carotenoids. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 2000.
The free radical scavenger
How much do I need?
Below are the current Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) established by the Health and Medicine Division of the National Academy of Sciences (formerly known as the Institute of Medicine).
- Infants 0 - 6 months - 15 mcg
- Infants 7 - 12 months - 20 mcg
- Children 1 - 3 years - 20 mcg
- Children 4 - 8 years - 30 mcg
- Boys and Girls 9 - 13 years - 40 mcg
- Teenagers 14 - 18 years - 55 mcg
- Men and Women 18 years and older - 55 mcg
- Pregnant Women 14 - 50 years - 60mcg
- While Breastfeeding 14 - 50 years - 70 mcg
Selenium at high levels (400+ mcg daily) can be toxic. Since selenium is found naturally in many plant and animal products, we’ve included selenium in our Women's Multi Capsule, and in our Women's 50+ Multi Capsule, Men's Multi Capsule, Men's 50+ Multi Capsule, and Prenatal Multi Capsule to safely supplement your dietary intake.
We always recommend you check with your healthcare practitioner before taking any of our products.
Why we include it
Selenium is an essential mineral that the body needs but can’t make on its own. At SmartyPants, we are committed to staying on top of the latest in health science and to keeping you in tip-top shape. So, we include selenium to help fill any nutritional gaps.
How do I get it?
Selenium can be destroyed during food processing, so try to source selenium from whole, unprocessed foods when possible.
- Tuna – 4 oz, 122.70 mcg
- Shrimp – 4 oz, 56.13 mcg
- Salmon – 4 oz, 43.09 mcg
- Crimini mushrooms – 1 cup, 18.72 mcg
- Shiitake mushrooms – 1 cupt, 17.98 mcg
- Asparagus – 1 cup, 10.98 mcg
- Turkey – 4 oz, 34.25 mcg
- Chicken – 4 oz, 31.30 mcg
- Lamb – 4 oz, 27.90 mcg
- Beef – 4 oz, 23.93 mcg
- Tofu – 4 oz, 19.73 mcg
- Eggs – 1 each, 15.40 mcg
- Spinach – 1 cup, 2.70 mcg
- Broccoli – 1 cup, 2.50 mcg